6° of Aberration

Looking for my alter ego...I'm sure I left it someplace around here...

Name:
Location: California, United States

Saturday, August 14, 2004

Conquering a Fear

The second hike up Shakespeare Rock was with Justin. This was the climb I was most worried about, partially because I expected Justin to be more likely to slip on the dusty trail or the sharp boulders, but mostly because I knew that Justin has a fear of heights.

We made the ascent in about forty-five minutes largely due to the fact that I had left trail markers during my hike with Andrew. So this trip we wasted no time wandering in the woods searching for the main and auxiliary trails. Justin also hiked without complaint and took few breaks for water. He seemed eager just to get to the top. He had no idea that I was worried that once he made it, the view from the rocky summit might trigger his fear of heights.

To my private surprise Justin climbed the last few yards over the large craggy boulders with little difficulty and then quickly began admiring the breathtaking view and pointing out the many landmarks he recognized. We called Kathy who was surprised we were already at the peak. She took the golf cart down to the pier to wave to Justin and to tell his brothers who were crawdad fishing with a neighbor beneath the dock.

While we had lunch and waited for Kathy to call back Justin announced to me, "Dad, guess what? Today I conquered another fear."

So he had thought about it, I mused, saying, "Really, Justin, what fear was that?"

His explanation delighted me. "Well, you know how sometimes when I climb steep stairs or I'm standing in high places I get afraid I'm going to fall? I get a feeling like there's a cool breeze blowing on my tummy. Well, today I didn't get that feeling. I just love it up here. I didn't even get scared."

Perfect. I couldn't have been more proud.

Kathy called back and Justin told her about the hike. I could hear his brothers in the background shouting their hellos. Kathy told Justin what a good job he'd done. Justin told her about conquering his fear and thanked her for her comments.

We hung up and finished our lunch while Justin told me more about his excitement. Then he asked me, "Is it okay if I try to make my voice echo?"

"Sure," I answered hesitantly. I was afraid he might resurrect our private joke from the movie Brother Bear and imitate the rams who keep shouting "Shut up!" to their own echoes. I didn't particularly want Justin shouting "Shut up!" and "No, you shut up!" from the top of Shakespeare Rock.

But Justin stood up, turned and faced the lake, and shouted, "Hello! I love you! Thanks for all the compliments!"

3 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

burberry pas cher, christian louboutin uk, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, prada handbags, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, replica watches, replica watches, tory burch outlet, nike free run, uggs on sale, louis vuitton, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, louboutin pas cher, christian louboutin, nike free, sac longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike roshe, michael kors pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, nike outlet, jordan shoes, tiffany jewelry, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, air max, gucci handbags, jordan pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet

April 22, 2016 at 5:39 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, soccer jerseys, ralph lauren, beats by dre, giuseppe zanotti outlet, insanity workout, iphone 6s plus cases, vans outlet, nike roshe run, mcm handbags, iphone 6 cases, instyler, abercrombie and fitch, nike trainers uk, ghd hair, mont blanc pens, north face outlet, wedding dresses, valentino shoes, herve leger, hollister, lululemon, north face outlet, reebok outlet, chi flat iron, iphone 6 plus cases, new balance shoes, nike huaraches, oakley, nike air max, iphone 5s cases, babyliss, iphone 6s cases, ferragamo shoes, jimmy choo outlet, timberland boots, ipad cases, bottega veneta, longchamp uk, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, iphone cases, p90x workout, hollister clothing, s6 case, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, soccer shoes, hermes belt, louboutin

April 22, 2016 at 5:43 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, barbour, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, converse, replica watches, pandora jewelry, doudoune moncler, canada goose uk, thomas sabo, lancel, moncler, canada goose outlet, ray ban, coach outlet, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, converse outlet, moncler uk, ugg pas cher, marc jacobs, supra shoes, links of london, montre pas cher, hollister, pandora uk, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler outlet, hollister, gucci, toms shoes, ugg, nike air max, canada goose, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, vans, barbour uk

April 22, 2016 at 5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home