6° of Aberration

Looking for my alter ego...I'm sure I left it someplace around here...

Name:
Location: California, United States

Friday, July 09, 2004

"You look just like your Daddy."

The debate continues. Since birth friends, family, acquaintances, hell, even strangers on the street, have enjoyed pronouncing which parent each of our boys most resembles.

There is seldom disagreement about Andrew: his deep brown eyes are inarguably his mother's; his hair is also dark like hers (though less noticeably during the summer); and he has her brothers' sturdy build and solid limbs. He also has tremendous bear paws that I covet; they remind me of my dad's, but they could be like his maternal uncles', who knows? No one draws any conclusions about who he resembles based upon his hands, of course; I just happen to admire those salmon-snatching, baseball-dwarfing cather's mitts when comparing them to my own slender, pianist hands.

Then there is Kevin. More often than not, people look at Kevin and beam, "Oh, he looks just like his Daddy." Especially as he has gotten older. And that's how it feels to me, too. But it's deceptive for me because I still feel blonde, blue-eyed, and slim when I'm with Kevin and I am none of the above (let's admit to being gray-eyed, silver-haired, and carrying a spare tire). But the resemblance I feel is as much an intangible, indescribable connection as it is our appearance. It's a wave-length thing. Kevin often feels like he is tuned to the same station, like he reads my mind. Even back to infancy, I can recall those "sixth sense" moments such as holding him propped on my right hip, leaning towards Justin's crib to fetch something, and sensing Kevin echoing my movements, and then turning slowly, simultaneously to face one another like two Marx Brothers faking a mirrored reflection in a doorway, at which point we would burst into simultaneous grins then giggles. I can't explain it other than to claim it goes beyond looks, so that if I am honest, when I stand beside him facing the mirror, I can deny that he "looks just like his Daddy," but still feel there is some unseen similarity that people intuitively detect.

It's when you throw Justin into the mix that things get most interesting. Here on the west coast, almost everyone says he favors Kathy. But my family on the east coast is not so quick to concur. They have said he resembles me as a child (unlike Kevin presumably, who others believe resembles me now). So how do I explain the times when we're all out and people who've never met me, but grew up with Kathy's family, take one look at Justin and exclaim, "Oh my goodness, it's Danny!"--her brother.

Until recently I only had handy one picture of me as a child to use for comparison purposes. It's a sepia-toned 8x11 of me sitting on Santa's lap as a two-year-old. Apparently I don't look like Kevin in that photo. I have even had close friends go so far as to challenge the veracity of my Mom's authority and insist it has to be my brother Bill, even when faced with the inarguable date on the back of the photo!

But now Uncle Tom has added further documentation to fuel the debate. He sent me a CD with jpeg images made from old family slides. Now we can pull up images of me as a baby, a two-year-old, and a five-year-old and compare them to pictures of the boys at the same age.

And guess what? The consensus so far, and I'm still soliciting opinions, is that you wouldn't mistake my baby pictures for Kevin's, but many see a resemblance to Justin.

And I don't think any of the boys hope to resemble my twenty-year-old photo. Andrew said if my shirt were green, I'd look just like Shaggy.

3 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

burberry pas cher, christian louboutin uk, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, prada handbags, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, replica watches, replica watches, tory burch outlet, nike free run, uggs on sale, louis vuitton, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, louboutin pas cher, christian louboutin, nike free, sac longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike roshe, michael kors pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, nike outlet, jordan shoes, tiffany jewelry, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, air max, gucci handbags, jordan pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet

April 22, 2016 at 5:38 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

baseball bats, soccer jerseys, ralph lauren, beats by dre, giuseppe zanotti outlet, insanity workout, iphone 6s plus cases, vans outlet, nike roshe run, mcm handbags, iphone 6 cases, instyler, abercrombie and fitch, nike trainers uk, ghd hair, mont blanc pens, north face outlet, wedding dresses, valentino shoes, herve leger, hollister, lululemon, north face outlet, reebok outlet, chi flat iron, iphone 6 plus cases, new balance shoes, nike huaraches, oakley, nike air max, iphone 5s cases, babyliss, iphone 6s cases, ferragamo shoes, jimmy choo outlet, timberland boots, ipad cases, bottega veneta, longchamp uk, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, iphone cases, p90x workout, hollister clothing, s6 case, nfl jerseys, asics running shoes, soccer shoes, hermes belt, louboutin

April 22, 2016 at 5:42 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, barbour, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, converse, replica watches, pandora jewelry, doudoune moncler, canada goose uk, thomas sabo, lancel, moncler, canada goose outlet, ray ban, coach outlet, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, converse outlet, moncler uk, ugg pas cher, marc jacobs, supra shoes, links of london, montre pas cher, hollister, pandora uk, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler outlet, hollister, gucci, toms shoes, ugg, nike air max, canada goose, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, canada goose, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, vans, barbour uk

April 22, 2016 at 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home