6° of Aberration

Looking for my alter ego...I'm sure I left it someplace around here...

Name:
Location: California, United States

Monday, October 25, 2004

TBNT

One of the recent small publishers in New York was very quick to reply:

Thank you for sending us your manuscript, The Search for Plupreme.

Though it is interesting, it is not quite what we seek. Therefore we are returning it to you with wishes for success in placing it elsewhere.

Sincerely,
[unsigned]
Children's Book Department
Theirs was the first to actually include the title of my work in their form letter. Nice also of them to address me by name, describe my work as "interesting," and to take the time for properly entering my name and address into the letter (and presumably their database).

In my software publishing days I sent out many form rejection letters. We even had a key for different letter types, such as "NT" for "No thanks," and "TBNT" for "Thanks, But No Thanks," a slightly more encouraging rejection. Now I cannot help automatically coding each rejection I get as the publisher's version of an NT or TBNT reply.

Meanwhile I continue to hope for the WCWTPY ("We Can't Wait to Publish You") letter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home